Monday, February 21, 2011

Aircraft Aluminum Chic

If you know me well then you know that I have had a lifelong love affair with aircraft aluminum.  I like the color, the texture, the rivets, the mirrored finish that comes with some polishing compound and elbow grease.  Heck, if I were Lady Gaga I would wear an aircraft aluminum gown down a red carpet.  So you can imagine my excitement when I came across the following WWII aircraft inspired furniture line from Restoration Hardware...

Look at those lines...how could you not write great works of philosophy or
the great American novel at that desk?  I am confident that this desk is all
that is standing between me and a Pulitzer Prize.

And who wouldn't want to be called to my office just for a chance to sit
in one of these chairs?

This has "Whitny's Sock Drawers" written all over it!

Just imagine the possibilities...I'm thinking this would be a good place for
my1950s - 1960s television westerns DVD boxed set collections.

So if any of you are looking for the perfect birthday gift for me and have, oh, say, about $5,000 to drop, then look no further!  There just aren't words to express how much I love this furniture line.  Perhaps it is because they remind me of the five hunks of surplus aircraft grade aluminum I love above all others...my five vintage Airstream trailers parked on my family's land outside Yosemite National Park.

Unfortunately, my Airstreams are in the High Sierras and I am in Los Angeles at the moment and unable to photograph them but here are photographs of what they kind of look like based on some old pictures I took and ones I stole off of the internet based on their years and models...

This is actually my 69 Ambassador Land Yacht
I call her the "Irma Louise"
The '58 Flying Cloud I have christened the "Magnolia Rae"
My '56 Flying Cloud is called the "Aurora Gail"
My '54 Flying Cloud kind of looks like this...and I call it
the "Thelma Lou"
And finally...meet the "Dorothy Mae"...well a similar trailer.


So there you have it...I love aircraft aluminum...in all of its various forms.  Some girls like diamonds, others like flowers and love songs written to them..me?  Give me a hunk of aircraft aluminum any day.

3 comments:

sheri said...

I totally love the furniture! Aircraft chic!

Tony Smith said...

Nice job! You are really talented. Beautiful stuff.

Tony Smith said...

Nice job! You are really talented. Beautiful stuff.