Thursday, December 16, 2010

An Evening With Tupper Saussy

Who the hell is Tupper Saussy?  Perhaps this is a question you have asked yourself.  No?  Okay, maybe it's just me.  I found myself asking this question this week as I was cleaning out the crawl space above my closet and came across a pile of probably eighty vinyl albums and right on the top of the pile was this gem...

Tupper Saussy:  "Said I To Shostakovitch"
Okay, so who the hell is Tupper Saussy?  My dear friend Ryan did a little research and the first thing he found was a quote from the UK newspaper The Guardian which said, "Tupper Saussy is not a man to be taken lightly."  Well one can clearly tell just by looking at him that this is not a man to be taken lightly.  This is a man who would throw a 20 year Scotch in your face and then dab off any backsplash that landed on him with that elegantly folded pocket square.  He would probably challenge you to a dual...only instead of pistols at dawn it would probably be a bass viola-off and then he'd hand you your ass on a platter.  He's sort of like the Dos Equis/Most Interesting Man in the World...you know, except that I don't think that anyone has the overwhelming urge to punch the Dos Equis man.  (What?  Is it just me?)

After spending an evening with Tupper Saussy I must say that this album has inspired me to change my use of idioms.  In the future whenever anyone says something that would necessitate me saying, "That's what she said..." or "Your mom goes to college..." I will instead interject..."Said I to Shostakovich".  I imagine it would go something like this:

Other Person:  You forgot to buy orange juice at the grocery store?

Me:  Yes.  Sorry.  It's really not that big of a deal.

Other Person:  Argh!  That's what you always say!

Me:  [Snidely] SAID I TO SHOSTAKOVICH...

Other Person:  Huh?

Okay, so maybe it won't make complete sense at first but give it time and you can condition the other person so that they understand and respond appropriately.  Patience and persistence are virtues people.

Well, I suppose that is all I have to say for tonight.  There is a turntable in the other room with some Tupper Saussy waiting to be played.  Ciao people...I have a date with Tupper Saussy and he is not a man to be taken lightly or kept waiting.

1 comment:

James E. Braun said...

Ok, I saw this album laying on the table where Whitny had photographed it. Praise the saints that we have a turntable. Gail (Whitny's mother and coincidentally, my wife) caught me dancing. After listening to that horrible dischordant jazz piano (so not what I was expecting from the album cover), I had to know more. This dude has a web site. Unfortunately, he kicked in 2007 getting ready for a concert promoting his last album. I thought momentarily that he probably gave Michael Jackson the idea. I read his web site and his 1968 album was classified as "psychedelic orchestrated rock"...wow...why was this in our house?