Monday, November 1, 2010

Desk Diary from 1909

Today I give you the 1909 Desk Diary of Edmond T. Braun...




I have kept a diary ever since I was in the second grade (corresponding to the time when I could first construct complete sentences) and I have always wondered where that need to chronicle the mundane activities and events of my life came from.  My parents never kept diaries and as far as I am aware my grandparents didn't feel the urge to jot anything down about their schedules or feelings or who they had crushes on in the fifth grade. So I couldn't help but wonder where this fondness I had for journaling came from.  But today I figured it out. Today as I was going through my house I found this little leather book, tinier than a check book, which turned out to be a desk dairy from 1909 that belonged to my great-grandfather Edmond Theodore Braun (1889-1980).


This is him...

Anyway, I have a feeling that Ed (that's what they called him), would have been a blogger if blogging had existed in the nineteenth and early twentieth century.  I mean who wouldn't have subscribed to follow his posts such as...

"Hauled rocks with Boxes Team...then went to town"

Now that is good stuff.  And if you think that is good stuff just wait for this entry from Sunday, the 9th of May, 1909...

"Planted a few things and went to a ball game."


  

1 comment:

Ryan DeRamos said...

Your great-grandfather invented Twitter! But you can always ghost-blog (pun intended) for Ed on Blogger (you can manipulate the dates of your posts, if you haven't seen that option yet)!