Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Commemorative Plate from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Today's find in my house is little porcelain glazed plate that I was told belonged to my great-great-grandmother.  So here's the plate...then comes the story....


This plate has been sitting in the same dusty corner of the china cabinet since I was born and I once asked my grandmother where it came from.  I have a vague memory from the mid-nineties of seeing her take it out of the cabinet to dust once and saying that her grandmother brought it with her from Canada to Chicago and then my she (my grandma) brought it with her when she moved out west during the war.  She put it back in the cabinet and I don't think I thought about it again until today as I was dusting.  Now why my great-great-grandmother would have a plate that says, "First House in Guelph, Ontario" made a lot sense today after I did a cursory search of her on ancestry.com.

As it turns out her name was was Elizabeth Norris and she was born in Guelph, Wellington, Ontario, Canada on July 23, 1851 to George and Mary Ann Norris.  Isn't it nice when the puzzle pieces just fall together like that with a simple internet search.  Oh and this is what Elizabeth Norris looked like...


No comments: